What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?

If you get a traffic ticket, and are guilty of the offense, then you should contact the Municipal Court at 334-705-5190 and get the fine amount. You must come in personally and pay the fine before the court date on the ticket. To plead guilty and pay your citation before going to court, several conditions must be met:

  1. The charge must be one of those listed in Rule 20, Alabama Rules of Judicial Administration, or be authorized by the City Code.
  2. You must not be a repeat offender.
  3. You must either appear in person or mail in the payment. You may not send it by a friend.
  4. No personal checks will be accepted.
  5. You must have your copy of the ticket with you or enclose it with a mail-in payment.
  6. No partial payments will be accepted.
  7. Call 334-705-5190 for further information if you have questions.

If you feel you are not guilty, then come to court on the date and time specified on your ticket. The Officer who issued you the ticket will have the burden to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The important thing to remember is if you don’t pay the ticket before your court date, and then you don’t show up for your court date, a warrant for your arrest will be issued, and your driver’s license will be suspended. So either pay the ticket off before hand or come to court!

Show All Answers

1. What do I do if I get a traffic ticket?
2. Do I have to go to court for all violations/offenses?