September is Healthy Aging Month - a time to raise awareness about the positive aspects of growing older.
The Opelika SportsPlex will be celebrating all month long on social media, but members are invited to join us for a special day of celebration on Tuesday, August 13, 2022.
Healthy Aging Celebration - Tuesday, September 13, 2022
- BODYPUMP Launch - morning and afternoon class options
- YETI tumbler will be given away in all group fitness classes.
- Door prizes and swag will be given away all day.
Try these tips for aging healthfully, no matter what your age:
- Promote good physical health by being active and staying socially engaged with others, whether through your church, a volunteer organization, friends or family.
- Maintain a healthy diet and get regular check-ups and yearly physicals.
- Take charge of your health and research the many ways you can use your health insurance to take proactive steps in keeping healthy. You may be entitled to a variety of healthcare screenings as you get older; it's important to know exactly what tests and screenings you should be having, based on your age and gender.
- Surround yourself with people who make you smile and laugh.
- Research your family tree and talk with your physician about your family history. Your health care provider can provide insight on inherited conditions and make suggestions on lifestyle changes to help you have the longest, healthiest life possible.
- Be realistic. Some living modifications may be necessary as people age; falls may become more prevalent and medication management may be needed.
- Remaining active and engaged is the best gift you can give yourself. Staying physically and mentally active and nurturing social connections with friends and family are all part of the bigger picture in helping to keep your mind and body well.