On 01/11/2022 at approximately 4:00 PM, officers with the Opelika Police Department attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a Chrysler Town & Country van on Crawford Road. The driver fled in the vehicle, away from officers, at a high rate of speed. Officers pursued the vehicle which eventually crashed at the intersection of Williamson Avenue at South Long Street. The driver, identified as Douglas Brandon Spraggins, 38 yoa from Opelika, AL, fled the vehicle on foot and was apprehended after a short foot chase. Spraggins was arrested on the following charges
- Two counts of Trafficking in Dangerous Drugs
- One count of Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance
- One count of Certain Persons Forbidden to Possess a Pistol
- One count of Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- One count of Attempting to Elude a Law Enforcement Officer
- One count of Felony Probation Revocation
This case is still under investigation and additional charges are pending. If you have any information on the suspect, please contact the Opelika Police Department Narcotics Division at (334) 705-5220 or the Secret Witness Hotline at (334) 745-8665. Tips can also be submitted through our Opelika Police Mobile App. You may wish to remain anonymous.