City of Opelika officials announce that all city buildings will reopen on May 18, 2020.
“We are pleased to be opening our city buildings to the public and we plan to take necessary precautions to protect our employees and citizens. We have developed protocol for each building and ask that you please follow these guidelines when you visit,” said Mayor Gary Fuller.
The City of Opelika has put the guidelines below in place and will continue these until further notice.
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR ALL BUILDINGS:
- Citizens are encouraged to continue conducting business online, by phone or email if possible.
- City employees will practice 6-foot social distancing at all times with fellow employees and visitors.
- Visitors are asked to wear a mask when entering city buildings.
- Employees will wear a mask when interacting with the public. If working with money or paperwork, employees will wear gloves.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in all city buildings. Visitors are asked to use hand sanitizer when entering and leaving city buildings.
- City buildings will be sanitized daily.
- Employees and visitors are asked to stay home if they feel sick.
- All lobby floors open to the public will be marked to allow for 6-foot social distancing.
ACCOUNTING AND HUMAN RESOURCES: As of Monday, May 18, both of these departments will be located at 608 Avenue A. The lobby will be open. An employee will escort visitors back for meeting if necessary.
PURCHASING/REVENUE (CITY HALL): Visitors should enter City Hall through the 7th Street entrance and exit at Avenue A.
OPELIKA POWER SERVICES: The lobby will not reopen at this time. OPS will continue operating by drive-through window, phone and online until further notice.
MUNICIPAL COURT AND PROBATION: Court will resume on May 20 with a limited capacity. Only defendants and witnesses will be allowed in the courtroom in order to maintain social distancing. No additional family members will be allowed.
PUBLIC WORKS/PLANNING/BUILDING INSPECTION/ENGINEERING: Lobby will be open from 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Restrooms will not be open to the public. Once visitors enter they will need to call the office they would like to visit. A city employee will escort visitor to that office. There will be a sign with phone numbers in the lobby area.
OPELIKA POLICE DEPARTMENT: The lobby will be open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
OPELIKA FIRE DEPARTMENT: Lobby hours for all firehouses will be 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
OPELIKA ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES: OES lobby will not reopen at this time. If you would like to sign up for garbage or curbside recycling, please call Opelika Power Services at 334.705.5170. If you have questions or concerns about garbage or recycling, call 334.705.5480.
RECYCLING CENTERS & CURBSIDE RECYCLING: Recycling centers will remain closed until further notice. Once our upstream processors are back in full operation, recycling centers will reopen. We will continue to pick up Curbside Recycling since our vendor Pratt Industries is in full operation.
LEWIS COOPER JR. MEMORIAL LIBRARY: The library will continue to operate with the following restrictions and limitations in place.
Monday - Saturday: 9 am to 6 pm
Closed on Sunday
Limited Services Include:
- One Entrance: The Avenue A door by the fountain is the only entrance open.
- Total number of patrons in the building is limited to 30 people.
- Computer Lab is limited to 5 people with 20 minutes of use, non-renewable.
- Children’s Room is limited to 5 people at a time.
- Genealogy Room is closed.
- Reference Room and Quiet Study Space is closed.
- Newspapers unavailable
- No meeting space or study space available
- No programs or special events
- Printing, Faxing, and Notary Service are available, but 6’ distance must be maintained during all transactions. (Call ahead to verify Notary Service is currently available: 334-705-5380)
- Curbside pickup service is available. Place your holds online at www.cooperlibrary.com -> Books, Movies, & More or call 334-705-5380 to request items. Call 334-705-5380 when you arrive and we will bring items out to you.
PARKS & RECREATION: Opelika Sportsplex is now reopen with normal hours. Activities are restricted to weight room, cardio equipment and the indoor track. Denson Rec Center will remain closed until further notice. Covington Rec Center is closed for construction. All basketball, soccer and baseball fields remain closed due to these being close contact sports.
CITY COUNCIL MEETING – MAY 19: City council will be open to the public beginning May 19. We will monitor capacity in order to maintain social distancing and occupancy rates. There will be no citizen communications. We encourage you to watch from your home via the city’s YouTube Channel, OpelikaCityGov. A direct link to the city YouTube Channel can be found at www.opelika-al.gov. Should you have comments or concerns you’d like to share with the council, please email them to Russell Jones, City Clerk, at [email protected].