The City of Opelika has determined that due to the COVID-19 situation, all city buildings will be closed through April 5, 2020, as of 6 p.m. today, March 20. Departments will continue to serve the public online, by phone or email throughout this time. Signs will be posted on the doors of all buildings with contact information and the city website will continue to share information at www.opelika-al.gov/COVID19. The city will reevaluate the situation by April 5.
The city plans to maintain continuity of services during this timeframe. Essential services like police, fire, power, solid waste and waste water are prepared and taking measures to make sure staff are practicing safe social distancing. Other departments are still working to maintain all projects at the moment, but that is subject to change at any time.
In addition, effective immediately, the City of Opelika is extending relief to businesses unable to pay their February, March, and April 2020 sales, use, lodging, rental and leasing tax liabilities. While businesses must still file their City of Opelika sales, use, lodging, rental and leasing taxes through normal practices by the 20th day of each month, penalties for late payments will be waived through June 1, 2020.
“We know our businesses are going to be impacted and we are doing all we can to help them during this challenging time. In addition, we are taking all precautions to make sure our employees and the public are safe and maintain healthy work environments. We are dividing staff so that some can work from home. In most cases, we are forwarding calls to these employees to ensure the public can still have questions and concerns answered. We appreciate your patience and cooperation,” said Mayor Gary Fuller.
Here are several important things to know about various city services:
- The city will continue paying bills during this time. Please call the Accounting Department should you have any questions about invoices or payment.
- The City of Opelika is first and foremost committed to taking care of our employees. Employees will be paid during this time. We are also in the process of working on childcare for our employees. More to come on this soon.
- The Sportsplex will freeze membership during this time. We will not draft membership dues until further notice.
- All Parks & Recreation Easter events have been cancelled.
- Opelika Track & Field has been cancelled for the remainder of the season.
Lewis Cooper Jr. Memorial Library:
- During this time, all due dates will be extended to April 6, 2020 and library staff ask that you keep your materials at home. Many services, including digital books, digital audiobooks, digital magazines, database research and more can be accessed through the library’s website: www.cooperlibrary.com.
- Staff are available to help you with access over the phone at 334-705-5380 or by email at [email protected].
- Video tutorials are available to help you access these resources on the library’s website and social media pages.
- All events and programs have been cancelled through April 15. We will reschedule events for future dates as we are able.
See listing of department phone numbers that will be used during this time period.
For more information or to set up a media interview with a department head, please contact Community Relations Officer Leigh G. Krehling at 334-705-5136.