Court's Most Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I get a ticket and have a question? Contact Opelika Municipal Court at 334-705-5196.

 How do I get a Public Defender? To get a public defender, you must come to court and complete an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship form.  If indigent, you will be appointed counsel.  

What do I do if I do not have money to pay my fines and costs? If you do not have the money to pay your fines and costs, come to court.  You may be placed on a payment plan.  

 Can I complete community service in lieu of paying my fines and costs? Yes.  Fines and Costs only.  Not restitution! 

Where can I complete my community service hours? There is an approved community service list under the Municipal Probation department page.

 My driver’s license is suspended.  How do I get it restored? You will need to contact the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) at 334-242-4400.

 If I do not go before the judge, why do I have to pay court costs? Court costs are set by state statute.  By law, they are assessed to most cases regardless of court appearance.  

Do you accept personal checks? No.