Community Meet Up Spot
The Opelika Police Department offers citizens a safe location to meet up for trading, buying, and selling online goods. This location is well-lit, public and under video surveillance, so buyers and sellers can safely complete their transactions. This location can also be utilized for child custody exchanges.
OfferUp’s Law Enforcement Outreach Program donated signage which is located outside of the police department to designated the meeting location.
Please remember the following safety tips:
- Research your seller and be wary of fake accounts
- Stick to sites or apps with a good reputation
- Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, Craigslist, LetGo, etc.
- Meet in a public place
- Tell someone or bring someone with you when you go
- Test the item before paying
- Do not mail or wire funds without having the item in your possession
- Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks will cash the fraudulent checks or money order and then hold you responsible
- Never give out financial information (bank account, social security, PayPal account, etc.)
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen. That amazing "deal" may not exist
If the deal is too good to be true; its probably no good