Code of Ethics
The City of Opelika Purchasing Department uses the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP) Code of Ethics as our guideline.
The Institute believes, and it is a condition of membership, that the following ethical principles should govern the conduct of every person employed by a public sector procurement or materials management organization.
- Believes in the dignity and worth of the services rendered by the organization and the social responsibilities assumed as a trusted public servant.
- Believes that members of the Institute and its staff should at no time or under any circumstances, accept directly or indirectly, gifts, gratuities or other things of value from suppliers, which might influence or appear to influence purchasing decisions.
- Believes that personal aggrandizement or personal profit obtained through misuse of public or personal relationships is dishonest and not tolerable.
- Identifies and eliminates participation of any individual in operational situations where a conflict or interest may be involved.
- Is governed by the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal relationships in order to merit the respect and inspire the confidence of the organization and the public being served.
- Keeps the governmental organization informed, through appropriate channels, on problems and progress of applicable operations, but personally remains in the background by emphasizing the importance of the facts.
- Resists encroachment on control of personnel in order to preserve integrity as a professional manager. Handles all personnel matters on a merit basis. Political, religious, racial, gender and age considerations carry no weight in personnel administration in the agency being directed or served.
- Seeks or accepts a position as head or employee only when fully in accord with the professional principles applicable thereto and when confident of possessing the qualifications to serve under those principles to the advantage of the employing organization.
- Seeks or dispenses no personal favors. Handles each administrative problem objectively and empathetically without discrimination.
- Subscribes to and supports the professional aims and objectives of the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, Inc.