- 3 p.m.
- 4th Tuesday of every month
- Municipal Courtroom - 300 MLK Boulevard
- 2021 Meeting and Deadline Dates (PDF)
- 2022 Meeting and Deadline Dates (PDF) Opens a New Window.
Required / Purpose: The Planning Commission is charged with developing and adopting the Comprehensive Plan for the City of Opelika. Its broad responsibility is to plan for the orderly physical development of the City. The Commission is responsible for the implementation of subdivision regulations, including the review and approval of new subdivisions. It also conducts public hearings concerning rezoning proposals and makes recommendations to the City Council concerning the same.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
See the list of all Planning Commission Agendas. (prior to October 1, 2021)
- Length of Term: 6-year terms.
- Appointed by: One member is the Mayor or his designee; one member is an administrative official of the City Council chosen by the Mayor; one member is a member of the City Council chosen by the Council. The other 6 appointments are made by the Mayor.
The Planning Commission consists of nine members: the mayor, one administrative official selected by the mayor, a member of the City Council (ex officio), and six persons who are appointed by the mayor. Current members are as follows:
- Lewis Cherry, Chairman
February 16, 2017 - February 15, 2023
- Lucinda Cannon, Vice Chairman
February 16, 2022 - February 15, 2028
- Gary Fuller, Mayor
November 3, 2020 - November 4, 2025
- Ira Silberman, Member
February 16, 2019 - February 15, 2025
- George Allen, Member
November 2, 2021 - November 4, 2025
- Michael J. Hilyer, Member
February 16, 2020 - February 15, 2026
- John Sweatman, Member
November 16, 2021 - November 4, 2026
- Arturo Menefee, Member
February 16, 2021 - February 15, 2027
- Leigh Whatley, Member
September 16, 2020 - February 15, 2024
About the Commission
The City of Opelika Planning Commission hears rezoning, preliminary and final subdivisions, conditional uses, annexations, and vacation requests. The Commission makes recommendations to the City Council concerning rezoning, Zoning Ordinance amendments, annexations, and vacations. The Commission also serves as an advisory committee to the City Council on development concerns.
For more information about the Planning Commission or to submit an application, contact the Planning Department at 334-705-5156.