Library Card & Circulation Policies
How to Get Your Card
Anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in Opelika is eligible for a library card!
Additionally, because of participation in the Horseshoe Bend Regional Library system, all residents of Coosa, Elmore, Lee, and Tallapoosa counties are eligible for a card. If you do not fall within any of these guideline, you can purchase a card for $20 per person per year.
Just bring a photo id and proof of residency to the library. If your state issued id (e.g. driver's license) has your correct address on it, that is all you need! For proof of residence, we prefer a utility bill in your name. However, we will accept most mail that is to you, not "you or current resident."
Patrons who live outside of Opelika or Coosa, Elmore, Lee, and Tallapoosa counties may obtain a library card with identification and a fee of $20 every year.
For Young Patrons 3 Through 18 Years Old
Alabama state law considers children under the age of 19 minors. The library requires minors (3-18 years old) living in the same household as their parent(s) to have a parent’s signature to obtain a library card.
Persons obtaining cards for their child(ren) must provide parent’s proof of ID and residency. Parents are responsible for all materials check out on their child’s card.
Children under 12 years of age cannot be left unattended.
Other Policies to Note
- Best sellers check out for one week with no renewals.
- Books and audiobooks are checkouts for two weeks and may be renewed three times if not reserved by another patron.
- Books that are no more than seven days overdue may be renewed by phone or via Internet.
- Children may only check out 1 DVD and 1 Audiobook per card.
- DVDs checkout for one week with no renewals.
- A fee of $2.50 will be charged for the replacement of a lost or damaged card.
- A fine of 25 cents per day per item is charged for overdue materials.
- If a patron’s residence is temporary, a $25 deposit is required.
- Items that are kept over 90 days or more will be charged to the patron.
- Library privileges are suspended if a minor family member has overdue materials or unpaid fines of $5 or more.
- Only 5 DVDs and audiobooks can be checked out per card.
- Requests are taken only on materials that are listed in the catalog.
- There is a $1 fine for placing audios or DVDs in the book drop. DVDs and audiobooks are placed in the drop labeled audio/visuals only.
- There is a limit of 25 items at a time per card. 5 items may be a DVD or audio book.