Business License Information
- If your business is based inside your residence and you are inside the city limits, you are required to secure a Certificate of Home Occupancy.
- Call the Planning Department for more information at 334-705-5156.
Contract Work License
- Plumbing and electrical contractors are required to purchase a surety bond prior to starting a contract.
- When applying for a business license, plumbing and electrical contractors, heating/air conditioning contractors, landscapers, refrigeration and gas fitters, and exterminators must present a State of Alabama license certificate or card.
- Contractors and subs working on a project where no permit is required must pay a fee of one-fourth of one percent when the license is due.
All Other & New Businesses
For new businesses wishing to locate inside the city limits the plan review process must be initiated at the City of Opelika Revenue Department. Once the plan review has been approved, the Revenue Department will contact the business owner to purchase the business license.
If you conduct business inside the city limits, but do not have an office or physical presence, the steps to obtaining a license are as follows:
- Come to the Revenue Department, which is located at:
204 S Seventh Street
Opelika, AL 36801
- Explain the nature of your business to one of the Revenue Department employees who will tell you what type license is needed.
- Fill out a business application (PDF). You may download an application from this site and fill in as much information as you can before visiting the Revenue Department.
- Pay cash, credit card, debit card or make your check payable to City of Opelika. The price of the license varies depending on the type of license required and includes a $12 issuance fee.
- A license certificate will be issued to you at that time.
- There are no decals required for your vehicle.