Waste Water Division
- Maintain 251 Miles of Sewer Lines
- 13,500+ Customers (96% Residential)
- Constructs Minor Sewer Extensions
- Install New Sewer Connections
- Locate Existing Sewer Connections in Compliance with ADEM Regulations
- Maintain Sewer Easements
- Line Locates
- Answers sewer calls
- Westside Wastewater Treatment Plant (1984) - 4.0 MGD Capacity
- Eastside Wastewater Treatment Plant (2006) - 5 MGD Capacity
- 25 Lift Stations
- Complies with all EPA and ADEM Regulations
Pretreatment Standards (PDF) are provided to all commercial and industry users in the City. These standards are based on Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) Permit requirements issued to the city.
The Public Works Department conducts its own sewer line locates. To have a sewer line located and marked on the right-of-way call 334-705-5400 before you dig.
Sewer Tap Fees
City Ordinance Chapter 28, Article IV, Division 2, Section 107 says: A sewer tapping fee is charged when a location wants to connect to the City sewer system and there is not a sewer tap available. The Public Works Department conducts a line locate and takes measurements to determine what is needed to install the sewer tap. The price is figured using these measurements according to the schedule in the Code of Ordinances. Once the fee is paid, the Public Works Departmentinstalls the sewer tap. For more information call 334-705-5400
Sewer Assessment Fees
City Ordinance Chapter 28, Article IV, Division 2, Section 108 says: A sewer assessment fee is an initial fee for connecting to the City sewer system. The fee is figured using the Schedule in the Code of Ordinances. The fee is paid to the City of Opelika at the Public Works Department. For more information call 334-705-5400.
Sewer Service Fees
Tours are also available of the Wastewater Treatment Plant. For more information call 334-705-5400.