Street Division

Branch Street Storm Drain Cover
10th Street Sidewalk Replacement

The Street Division performs maintenance on City streets oversees the construction of sidewalks, curbs, gutters, drain tops and inlets on all city property. The street division also maintains and/or repairs city streets.

Street Sweeping

Street sweeping is conducted on a scheduled rotation. In the spring and summer each quadrant of the City is swept once a month. Please see the map for your scheduled week. In the fall and winter the schedule changes due to the number of streets in the sections 1 and 3, as it takes longer to clear these areas. We do not change the schedule of the street sweeper for citizen requests.

Sidewalk Policy

All owners of property in the city shall be required to repair and maintain in good order sidewalks abutting their respective properties at their own expense. The City of Opelika has a cost share option to help with sidewalk repairs. When any sidewalk in the city needs repair, the abutting property owner may apply to the Public Works Department to repair or replace the sidewalk on a cost share basis. If the application is approved, the owner shall pay the cost of all materials required to repair or replace the sidewalk and the city shall provide the labor and equipment to repair, replace or otherwise rehabilitate the sidewalk.

Street Cuts/Patching

It shall be unlawful for any person to make any tunnel, opening or excavation of any kind in or under the surface of any public street without first securing a permit from the City of Opelika for each separate undertaking; provided, however, any person maintaining pipes, lines or other underground facilities in or under the surface of any street may proceed with an opening without a permit when emergency circumstances demand the work to be done immediately, provided the permit could not reasonably and practically have been obtained beforehand. The person shall thereafter apply for a permit on the first regular business day on which the office of the Director is open for business and said permit shall be retroactive to the date when the work was begun.

If you need to cut a City street fill out the application below and include a drawing with the dimensions of the proposed cut and submit it to the Public Works Department For information on how to submit the permit application and payment methods call the Public Works Department at 334-705-5400.

To report a pothole or dangerous area please call 334-705-5400.

Helpful Resources