Trash & Yard Waste Services
Trash and yard waste is collected on a continuous loop so there is not a specific collection day. For about 8 months out of the year trash will normally be collected on the same day as your garbage. During these 8 normal months we start on the same Monday route that our garbage trucks are running and make a continuous loop around the city. When we finish the Monday routes we move to the same routes as the Tuesday garbage routes and follow this procedure until we have covered the entire city. Sometimes we actually finish a route early and will move on to the next area so your trash may actually get picked up the day before your garbage.
There are about 4 months out of the year when routes take longer to collect. Routes collected in November, December and January normally take longer and cannot be picked up in one week. During these months volume is heavy because of leaves falling and the additional waste during the holidays. Also during these times there are 7 days we do not operate due to various holidays. Normally there is another month during the spring when everyone is doing work in their yards and the heavy volume makes us run behind.
Another instance when we run behind is when a strong storm comes through. After strong storms we continue to run the continuous loop and due to heavy volumes we will be behind for a few weeks.
Please note these requirements and restrictions before you place trash or yard waste on your curb for collection:
- Grass clippings, shrubbery trimmings or loose trash that may blow must be bagged or boxed. Failure to do so will result in a $10 service fee. [See example]
- If you are unable to place trash in yard and must place on street, any loose trash that will blow or wash down the storm drains, including leaves, must be bagged or boxed. Failure to do so will result in a $10 service fee. Leaves should be kept separate from other yard waste [See example]. Not acceptable [See example].
- Residents not wishing to bag or box may place the above items in their garbage cart or may request a second cart for a $10 monthly rate. Trash placed in cart does not have to be bagged.
- All Styrofoam must be bagged.
- To avoid digging up yards with our trash trucks we may leave some small trash on the ground. Resident should bag this for collection the next week or place this in their garbage cart.
- Resident may bring any trash or yard waste to the Jeter Recycling Center. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lawn care providers must place yard waste in front of customers house unless approved by the Office of Environmental Services (OES). After purchasing an annual permit, lawn care providers may bring yard waste to the Jeter Recycling Center. Fine for illegal dumping is $100 for the first occurrence and increases $100 per additional occurrence.
- OES will collect five cubic yards of yard waste per week. If resident has more than this amount OES will collect it in following weeks. If resident requests OES to pick up entire amount in one week the resident will be charged $75 per load plus disposal charges.
- All tree or bush trimmings must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 5 feet in length or they will not be picked up. Tree and bush trimmings exceeding these amounts will be picked up at a rate of $75 per load plus disposal charges. [See example] If the amount is less than a full load, OES will quote a rate to remove the trash. Residents also have the option to use a private hauler to remove these larger items. Anyone cutting trees in your yard is responsible for removing all the waste from cutting the trees down. They must have a business license and if not, please contact City of Opelika Revenue Department.
- OES will only collect tree trimmings and other yard waste that comes from within 100 feet of the house and only in the maintained area of the yard.
- OES does not pick up construction or demolition material including rolls of used carpet. OES will remove this material at a rate of $75 per load plus disposal charges. If the amount is less than a full load, OES will quote a rate to remove the trash. Residents also have the option to use a private hauler to remove this material. Anyone performing construction work on your property is responsible for removing all the waste.
- If you have an appliance that needs picking up please go by City Hall and purchase a permit.
- If you have access to a pickup truck you may bring appliances to the Jeter Recycling Center at no charge.
- Anyone signing up for garbage service will be charged a $25 fee to pay for the additional waste generated when moving in or out of a house. [See examples 1, 2]
If you have any questions, contact us at 334-705-5480.