We offer single stream curbside recycling.
- Curbside Recycling Signup
- Curbside Recycling Schedule - 2019 (PDF)
- Single Stream Recycling Checklist (PDF)
NOTE: For 2019, if your service day falls on Thanksgiving, we will service you the day before Thanksgiving. We will operate on Christmas Eve.
Recycling Convenience Centers
The City of Opelika has several drop off sites for recycling. These are located at:
- Covington Center
213 Carver Avenue
- Floral Park Center
600 Floral Street
- North Side Center
600 8th Avenue
- Jeter Avenue Center
675 Jeter Avenue (Across the street from Jeter Primary School)
Open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Friday
These centers accept the following:
- Aluminum Cans
- Newspapers, Magazines and other mixed paper (like junk mail and office paper).
- Plastic: All plastic bottles and jugs accepted. Should be crushed. Note: Please wash any plastic containers that contained food, so that recycling loads will not be rejected.
- Steel Cans (All cans must be washed)
(In addition to the items listed above, the Northside Center will have a container for donations of clothes and shoes. We are allowed to count these donations in our recycling totals.)
The Jeter Center is a full-service recycling facility and will accept the following:
Materials Not Accepted
The following materials will not be accepted:
- No Glass: Glass will contaminate our loads and they will be rejected. The Columbus MRF is not designed to process glass. Our full service convenience center on Jeter Avenue accepts glass and ships it directly to the glass recycling facility in Atlanta.
- No Plastic Bags: All recycling should be placed in the black containers loose. To process recycling at the Columbus MRF all material must be loose. To get a better understanding of single-stream recycling and why material must be loose, please check out the Columbus Recycling Facility and Sustainability Center Video. You can recycle plastic grocery bags at the store where your purchases were made.
- No Trash or Wood: These items will contaminate our loads, and they will be rejected.
We often have contamination with our recycling. The Solid Waste Association of North American released a great video showing the most common issues with contamination. Please do what you can to help us recycle right! Thanks.
Note: The following stores have confirmed that they will recycle plastic bags. Winn-Dixie, WalMart, Piggly Wiggly, Kroger, Target, Best Buy and Kohls.
If you have any additional questions, please call us at 334-705-5480.