Garbage Collection Services
Opelika Environmental Services (OES) operates an automated system for garbage collection utilizing 95-gallon carts at each home. Each home is picked up onetime per week. Small businesses are provided a 95 or 300-gallon cart and can be picked up to four times per week.
Collection Requirements & Restrictions
OES operates an automated system for garbage collection utilizing 95-gallon carts at each home. Each home is picked up one time per week. Small businesses are provided a 95 or 300-gallon cart and can be picked up one to four times per week.
- Carts must be at the curb by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day. Carts may be put out the night before.
- Carts must be removed from the street and pulled back to your house by the end of your collection day. If not, there will be a $10 service fee.
- Our trucks are equipped with GPS so we can determine if and at what time our vehicles have driven down your street.
- All household garbage placed in carts must be bagged and tied. [See example]
- Homes with habitually overflowing carts will be issued a second cart at a cost of $10 per month. [See example]
- Lids must be closed. [See example]
- Place your garbage and recycling cart at least five feet apart and at least five feet from mailboxes, utility poles, vehicles and other obstructions. Carts blocked by vehicles are the responsibility of the resident.
- No boxes in carts unless broken down or cut up so they do not jam the cart while being picked up.
- No paint or liquids such as solvents and cleaners allowed in the carts or trash unless they have been solidified by mixing with oil dry, kitty litter or sand. If paint is found in cart or trash there is a $25 service fee.
- OES does not pick up tires on the roadside, but they may be brought to the Jeter or 8th Avenue Recycling Centers.
When there is a holiday, your collection day may change. Please visit opelika-al.gov for holiday schedules. To establish or change your garbage service please contact Opelika Power Services at 334.705.5170. If you have general garbage questions, contact us at 334.705.5480.