Each year, I am incredibly proud of how the City of Opelika employees contribute to the United Way of Lee County. I am personally a huge proponent of this organization and know that the staff at the local United Way does amazing things for the citizens in our community.
Our city United Way committee is hosting a Food Day for United Way again this year. This is going to be a fun event and we invite you to bring your friends and family to enjoy some great food and fellowship with us. We will have special guests like Aubie, the Opelika cheerleaders and mascots. In addition, we’re having a rubber duck race in the creek, DJ Silky Tone will share music and entertainment and the train will be running. You don’t want to miss it!
A few important facts about the United Way of Lee County in case you didn’t know:
• The four main impact areas of the Lee County United Way are: strengthening families and community; crisis; education; and health and independence.
• Every dollar that the Lee County United Way receives is broken down as follows:
• One cent out of every dollar goes to the National United Way offices
• 11 cents out of every dollar goes to cover the administrative costs of the Lee County United Way offices
• 88 Cents out of every dollar goes directly to the agencies that Lee County United Way helps sponsor. (Most charitable organizations spend an average of 25-35% of monies they receive on “administrative costs” leaving only around 65 cents on the dollar for the charities they represent; some spend more than that.)
• ALL your donation money given is tax deductible
We have so much to be thankful for here in Opelika. I appreciate our employees and the great work that is being accomplished in all our departments for our community.
For more information on the United Way of Lee County, call 745-5540.