The six employees of the City of Opelika's Engineering Department provide engineering, land surveying services and storm water management for the City Council, other City Departments and various boards of the City. These services include the following:
- Management, documentation and inspection of the City's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) and implementation of the City's Storm Water Management Plan (SWMP).
- Maintains the City's permits from the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) which include:
- Erosion and sediment control on all site development projects
- Issues permits for and reviews land disturbance plans
- Inspects and inventories all storm water discharge locations, obtains water samples, and tracks water quality of streams within this City's system.
- Provides inspection and enforcement of the City's Chapter 7, "Drainage and Flood Control" Ordinance.
- Maintaining accurate and current maps of the City and its facilities for the use of other City Departments, boards and citizens. These maps include subdivision plats, streets, house numbers, sanitary sewers, drainage, land use, rights-of-way, easements and others.
- Reviewing and monitoring construction quality and inspecting the sediment and erosion control procedures for all new residential subdivisions, commercial and industrial developments within the City from the planning stage to the completion of construction.
- Reviewing all engineering plans and inspecting all construction for infrastructure development that is prepared by the City or its consultants. These plans and projects include:
- Roadway development, expansion and improvement
- Intersection improvement and signalization installation
- Bridge inspection and construction
- Storm water drainage system management, and construction erosion and sediment control and post development storm water management
- Providing boundary and land surveying services for all City-owned properties and facilities.