The goal of the Community Relations Department is to make sure that the residents of Opelika (both private and business sectors) stay well-informed about what’s going on in the City of Opelika governing infrastructure and to evaluate public perceptions and feedback from the community so that the city can address those issues in a timely manner. The Community Relations Department gets information out to the public in a variety of ways. The department:
- Manages the City of Opelika brand
- Provides communications and information to area radio, TV and newspaper outlets on breaking news and events
- Writes and distributes articles and news items to publications across the area and state
- Designs, writes articles and coordinates printing and distribution of the “On Track” Newsletter that gives the public updates on city department activities
- Updates and maintains the website
- Updates and manages all City of Opelika social media platforms
- Manages ConnectOpelika -- a web and text service for citizens
- Coordinates the city United Way campaign
- Manages Notify Me, ConnectOpelika, Alerts and Opelika NewsBites
- Plans Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies
Another responsibility of the Community Relations Officer - in the event of natural or man-made disasters - is to work with the Lee County Emergency Management Agency in getting information out to the public, allied county agencies, and State and Federal agencies.
Contacting the Department
As always, if there is any information this department can provide for the public, please do not hesitate to call us at 334-705-5136 or email the Community Relations Department.