Successful homeownership benefits the homeowner and the surrounding neighborhood. Homeownership is successful for the home buyer when all of the associated costs-mortgage, property taxes, insurance, maintenance and repairs-are understood and manageable. Homeownership is successful for the neighborhood when the new homeowner is committed to maintaining their home and caring about the surrounding neighborhood. In fact, successful homeownership benefits the whole city with stronger community involvement and stabilized property values.
About Our Program
The City of Opelika provides down payment and closing cost assistance through its Home Buyers Loan Program. This program is available city wide to low-moderate income-persons, preference given to buyers in the Jeter Avenue Target Area. The target area is bound by 6th St, Samford Avenue, Fox Fun Parkway and Torbert Boulevard. Grants for 50% of lender required down payment (not to exceed $6,000 per participant) will be provided by the City of Opelika. The Alabama Council of Human Relations provides education and home buyer training to potential home buyers.
First Time Home Buyer Loan Program
- Applicants must not have owned a home in the past 3 years.
- Applicants must live in the property being purchased.
- Property must be in the city limits of Opelika.
- Mobile or module homes do not qualify.
- Total household annual income cannot exceed 80% of median income as defined by HUD.
- Applicant must attend and complete Home Buyer Training.
- 0% interest loan for 5 years.
Home Buyer Training
- Provided through ACHR
- Topics include:
- Home Maintenance and Repair
- Financial Management or Budgeting or Record keeping
- Protecting your Investment
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Working with a Realtor and Lender
- View our Home Ownership Loan Program brochure.