Community Development (CDBG)
The Community Development Office is part of the Planning Department. The two primary focuses of this office are improving the well-being of Opelika’s low-and moderate-income persons and encouraging development that benefits the community as a whole. Not surprisingly, the sources of project funding, and the strings attached, shape what we are able to do. The City of Opelika has been an entitlement city and receiving this grant since 2000.
About the Program
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) are federal funds received from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The federal goal for CDBG is "developing viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanded economic opportunities...for low-to moderate - income persons." To receive CDBG funds, the City is required to submit several documents to the U.S Housing and Urban Development Department. Community Development staff prepares these documents:
- Strategic Plan (5 year Consolidate Plan)
- Annual Action Plan
- Citizen Participation Plan
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Plan (CAPER)
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing (AI)
Our grant award for Program Year 2022 (October 1, 2022-September 30, 2023) is $258,169.
The CDBG program works to ensure decent affordable housing, to provide services to the most vulnerable in our communities, and to create jobs through the expansion and retention of businesses.
Each activity undertaken with CDBG funds must meet one of the following national objectives for the program:
- Benefit low and moderate-income persons
- Prevention or elimination of slums or blight
- Address community development needs having a particular urgency because existing conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the community for which other funding is not available
Eligibility is determined annually by HUD and is based on the number of persons living in a household and total household income allowed. For a copy of the current Beneficiary Income chart, click here Version OptionsCommunity Development (CDBG)Headline.
Over the last 6 years Opelika has provided more than a million dollars in funding to:
- Emergency Home Repair Loan Program
- Emergency Utility Assistance Program
- Facade Grant Program
- Fair Housing
- Homeownership Loan Program
- Housing Services
- Public Facilities and Services
Special Accommodation Information
The City of Opelika does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admissions or access to its programs or activities. An ADA Coordinator has been designated to coordinate compliance with the non-discrimination requirements contained in the Department of Justice regulations implementing Subtitle A of Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. 12131), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability by public agencies. City of Opelika ADA Coordinator 334-705-2083, Email ADA Coordinator