The City Administrator serves under the direction and control of the Mayor, and advises the Mayor on the administrative responsibilities of the City. The duties and responsibilities of the City Administrator are as follows:
- Administers the daily operations of all departments of city government, which are under the Mayor's direction.
- Provides administrative support for all Departments in the City of Opelika.
- Supervises and evaluates Department Heads' performance.
- Prepares and administers annual departmental budget.
- At direction of the Mayor, coordinates with Department and Division Heads and Council Members, the preparation of the annual municipal budget.
- Provides customer assistance, responds to citizen complaints, and promotes positive community relations.
- Performs complex professional, technical, and administrative tasks relating to the administration of the City's Departments and Divisions.
- Represents the City and provides information to the public, private organizations, and audiences.
- Performs general administrative duties such as devising goals, developing budgets, and revising reports.