RULES AND REGULATIONS
EVERGREEN, GARDEN HILLS AND
A cemetery to most people is sacred ground, second only to the church in their esteem. The cemetery must be carefully maintained in accordance with its agreements with lot owners. Therefore, it is necessary to make rules and regulations from time to time, which the City of Opelika deems advisable.
*All pricing is for City of Opelika Residents. Non-resident fees are double.
Grave space in Evergreen at $750.00 Each
Columbaria spaces in Evergreen at $750.00 Each
Garden Hills Cemetery
Grave spaces in Garden Hills at $750.00 Each
Grave spaces in Garden Hills Sections 2, 6, 9, 18, 18A, 19 at $1,000.00 Each
Columbaria spaces in Garden Hills at $750.00 Each
No spaces available for sale.
[To see a map of city cemeteries, CLICK HERE.]
[To see a map of city cemeteries, CLICK HERE.]
Graves will be opened and closed by the City of Opelika at a cost of $450.00 on a regular workday before 4pm; $550.00 on a regular workday after 4pm and on Saturday and Sunday; and $600.00 on a legal holiday. Graves and Columbaria will be opened and closed for cremains by the City of Opelika at a cost of $225.00 on a regular workday before 4pm; $275.00 on a regular workday after 4pm; Saturday, Sunday and Holidays $300.00. No funerals shall be held on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, Easter Sunday or the July 4th Holiday.
1. Automobiles and other vehicles will not be allowed to proceed at a speed greater than 15 mph.
2. Cemetery employees are not allowed to accept fees or tips. All accounts must be settled at the cemetery office.
3. No children are allowed in the cemetery unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
4. All persons are expected to leave the site of the graveside service upon dismissal unless special permission is received from the cemetery office.
5. It is strictly forbidden to pick flowers of any kind. Breaking branches, lying on grass, shooting, making loud noises, or any disorderly conduct is also forbidden.
6. Visitors will be admitted to the grounds at all times during the day but no visitors shall be admitted after sunset. Cemetery gates open at sunrise and close at sunset.
7. Funerals shall have priority over any other activities.
8. All interments must be enclosed in a regular cement, metal, or heavy-duty polypropylene vault. Vault trucks are not to be seen while funerals are in progress. A $100.00 fine will be imposed.
9. The Cemetery Superintendent is to be notified of hours set for a funeral and the space selected as soon as the family decides in order to allow ample time for the necessary preparations. In no case should this notification be less than twelve hours prior to the funeral. The cemetery office opens at 7:00 am and closes at 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. The cemetery office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. In case of emergencies call 334-705-5400.
10. No parking off asphalt roads will be permitted.
LOTS - GRAVES:
1. No lot enclosures, lights or fluorescent devises permitted.
2. No iron, wirework, or seats will be allowed.
3. No For Sale signs or signs of any kind allowed on lots in the cemetery.
4. The City of Opelika requires its endorsement on all transfers of lot ownership. A complete record of transfer must be made at City Hall for which a reasonable fee will be charged.
5. All lots will be maintained by the cemetery. No outside workmen or gardeners will be permitted to work in the cemetery. Flowers should be placed on the headstone or in a cemetery approved receptacle near the headstone or foot marker.
6. Only one flower arrangement per grave lot is allowed unless the monument provides its own flower receptacles. Flower receptacles of any other kind (glass, wood, plastic, tin, cement) are prohibited. Two trinkets or whatnots per lot are permitted if placed on the base of the monument. Flowerpots and other items on the lawn will be removed from the grass immediately. Funeral flowers will be removed on the Friday after the fifth day of interment.
7. Only one vault interment is permitted in each grave space.
8. No individual plantings or grass sods will be permitted.
9. No interment will be permitted in a grave space that has not been fully paid for.
10. No burial will be permitted on a lot unless an interment order has been signed by the proper authorities.
11. No disinterment will be allowed until law gives proper authority and all charges have been paid in full.
12. No alcohol or drug-related activities will be allowed in the cemetery at any time. Law enforcement support will be requested if necessary.
GARDEN HILLS CEMETERY
MONUMENTS, MAUSOLEUMS, AND MARKERS:
1. All monuments and headstones are to be leveled and line up with others in the cemetery in accordance with drawings and measurements furnished by the Cemetery Superintendent.
2. All monuments, markers, and mausoleums must be of recognized quality granite, marble, or bronze finished in a workmanlike manner and must be accepted by the Cemetery Superintendent before being taken into the cemetery.
3. All mausoleums, markers, and monuments (as individually restricted in each section) shall be made of marble, granite, or bronze and set on a base of concrete below the surface of the ground. No foundation will be built higher than one inch below the lowest point of the surface of the ground.
4. No monuments, markers, or mausoleums are to be set on Saturdays, Sundays, or legal holidays, unless special permission in writing is obtained from the Cemetery Superintendent.
5. No monument die shall be less than six (6) inches thick and not less than two (2) feet in height and not less than two (2) feet long. No monument base shall exceed thirty (30) inches in width and not less than two (2) feet, four (4) inches in length, nor less than six (6) inches above the ground surface. No monument shall exceed five (5) feet in overall height or more than 75% of overall length, whichever is less.
6. No monument shall occupy more than 60% of the width of the lot.
7. No cement or artificial stone will be permitted in the cemetery above the surface of the ground.
8. Only one monument is permitted on each lot and one marker on each burial.
9. All markers shall be set flush with ground level.
10. Lettering on stone markers shall be recessed into the surface of the stone. Letters on bronze markers may be raised but the City of Opelika will not be responsible for letters that may be defaced or knocked loose.
11. Stone slabs will not be permitted either erect or reclining.
12. All monuments shall be double faced with name and design on front side of monument and name on backside of monument.
13. All mausoleums, monuments, and markers shall be centered on the concrete foundation.
14. All markers, stone or bronze, shall be not less than twenty-four (24) inches long, nor less than twelve (12) inches wide, except childrens graves where markers four (4) inches by eight (8) inches are permitted.
15. All monument dealers or agents shall be responsible for damage to property while they are in the act of doing work in the cemetery. All material used for doing work shall be cleared away when work is completed.
16. All monument dealers or agents, when doing work in the cemetery, shall provide the Cemetery Superintendent with the numbers and expiration date of their city license. This information, together with the name and address of the concern, the type of monument or marker, the name thereon, and the lot numbers on which it is erected shall be recorded in a special book kept by the Cemetery Superintendent.
17. The City of Opelika will use all necessary precautions in maintaining the cemetery, but the City of Opelika will not be held liable for scratches or other marks on monuments or grave markers which might occur through normal maintenance of the lot.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR MONUMENTS:
Cemetery Rules and Regulations state that a monument cannot be more than 60% of the lot size:
LOT SIZE MONUMENT BASE LOT SIZE MONUMENT BASE
4 FEET 2 4 12 FEET 7 2
5 FEET 3 0 13.5 FEET 8 1
6 FEET 3 7 14 FEET 8 4
7 FEET 4 2 16 FEET 9 6
8 FEET 4 8 18 FEET 10 8
9 FEET 5 4 21 FEET 12 6
10.5 FEET 6 3 27 FEET 16 2