The Planning Commission consists of nine members: The mayor, one administrative official selected by the mayor, a member of the City Council (ex officio), and six persons who are appointed by the mayor. The City of Opelika Planning Commission:
- Hears planning and zoning matters including all rezonings, preliminary and final subdivisions, PUDs, conditional uses, annexations, and requests to vacate right-of-ways.
- Makes recommendations to City Council concerning rezonings, amendments to the text of the Zoning Ordinance, annexations, vacation of rights-of-way
- Serves as an advisory committee that studies, researches, and presents recommendations to City Council on a variety of zoning and development issues.
- Advises the City Council on the adoption of, and amendments to, the Comprehensive Plan.
Current Planning Commission Members
· Lewis Cherry (Chairman)
· Ira Silberman (Vice Chairman)
· Mayor Gary Fuller
· Arturo Menefee
· Michael J. Hilyer
· Lucinda Cannon
· David Canon
· John McEachern
(One seat to be filled.)
Planning Commission's Comprehensive Plan for 2030
To see a copy of the plan click here .
For more information about the Planning Commission or to submit an application for request contact the Planning Department at 334-705-5156.
To see the Minutes from Planning Commission Meetings, click here.
In order to view some of the applications, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. Download Acrobat Reader here
Planning Commission Meetings
The deadline to submit an application for Planning Commission review is the first Tuesday each month before 4:00 PM. The applications should be submitted to the Planning Department at the Public Works Facility, 700 Fox Trail. The Planning Commission meets at 3:00 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of each month at the Public Works Facility, 700 Fox Trail. A Planning Commission worksession is held on the third Tuesday before the Planning Commission Meetings of each month at 3:00 p.m.