New Garbage & Trash Ordinance Passed
New Garbage & Trash Ordinance Passed
Changes in Solid Waste Ordinance Effective October 1, 2017
Opelika’s first Solid Waste Ordinance was passed in 1981. Since that time there have been many changes to how Opelika collects its garbage, trash and recycling. The ordinance was recently updated to clarify these many changes. In the ordinance, we have addressed many issues such as:
- Carts not being pulled off the street at the end of their collection day.
- Carts overflowing and causing major litter issues when they are emptied.
- Loose garbage being placed in carts and causing major litter issues when the carts are emptied.
- Loose trash being placed on city streets causing major litter issues.
- Loose trash being placed on the street and causing major problem with our storm drains.
- Rules and regulations on what tree parts will be picked up as part of regular service.
- Amount of yard waste that will be picked up each week.
- Construction and demolition material.
- Vehicles blocking garbage carts and trash.
- Liquids, such as paint.
- Curbside recycling.
- Lawn care services.
Many of these changes are listed below and are effective on October 1, 2017. The new ordinance can be found here. If you have any questions please contact Opelika Environmental Services (OES) at 334.705.5480.
- Lids must be closed or the cart will not be picked up. Residents that have habitually overflowing carts will be provided a second cart at $10/month.
- Carts must be removed from the streets and placed near their house by the end of their collection day. Failure to do so will result in a $10.00 service charge.
- All waste placed in cart must be bagged.
- No boxes allowed in carts unless they have been broken down or cut up so they do not cause garbage to become stuck in the cart.
- Any resident unable to be serviced on a public road must sign a Private Access Agreement and Release Form.
- Grass clippings, shrubbery trimmings or loose trash that may blow must be boxed or bagged. Failure to box or bag results in$10.00 service fee. For $10.00 per month resident may get second cart if they do not want to bag or box trash.
- Any loose trash placed on street that may blow must be boxed or bagged. Failure to box or bag results in $10.00 service fee.For $10.00/month resident may get second cart if they do not want to bag or box trash.
- OES will pick up 5 cubic yards of trash/week. Any overage will be picked up in following weeks or resident can pay $75.00 per load plus disposal.
- OES will only pick up yard waste from within 100 feet of house and only in maintained area of yard.
- OES will only pick up tree parts that are less than 6 inches in diameter and 5 feet in length. Collection of tree parts exceeding this will be at a rate of $75.00 per load plus disposal charges. If less than a full load OES will quote a lower rate.
- All trash shall be placed within 3 feet of the curb or road.
- OES will not pick up construction or demolition material. Collection of this material will be at a rate of $75.00 per load plus disposal charges. If less than a full load OES will quote a lower rate.
- Vehicles blocking garbage carts or trash are the responsibility of the resident.
- No liquids, including paint, is allowed in garbage carts or trash. Liquids must be solidified using sand, oil dry or kitty litter and brought to the Jeter Recycling Center. Any resident placing liquids in garbage carts or trash will be assessed a $25.00 service fee.
- Residents using the optional curbside recycling service must abide by all recycling rules. Lids must close for recycling cart tobe picked up.
- Lawn care provider must place yard waste in front of resident’s house unless approved by OES. Lawn care companies must purchase annual permit for $100 and bring yard waste not placed in front of resident’s house to Jeter Recycling Center.
- When signing up for garbage service a $25 move-in/move-out fee will be assessed.
- City will only pickup what is in carts from commercial customers. Trash removal will be at an agreed upon rate.
- Commercial customers must sign Access Agreement& Release Form.