Opelika’s first Solid Waste Ordinance was passed in 1981. Since that time there have been many changes to how Opelika collects its garbage, trash and recycling. The ordinance was recently updated to clarify these many changes. In the ordinance, we have addressed many issues such as:
- Carts not being pulled off the street at the end of their collection day.
- Carts overflowing and causing major litter issues when they are emptied.
- Loose garbage being placed in carts and causing major litter issues when the carts are emptied.
- Loose trash being placed on city streets causing major litter issues.
- Loose trash being placed on the street and causing major problem with our storm drains.
- Rules and regulations on what tree parts will be picked up as part of regular service.
- Amount of yard waste that will be picked up each week.
- Construction and demolition material.
- Vehicles blocking garbage carts and trash.
- Liquids, such as paint.
- Curbside recycling.
- Lawn care services.
The new ordinance will become effective on October 1, 2017. The new ordinance and a summary of the primary changes can be found here.