The arts are a priority to the citizens of Opelika and are abundant in the city. The active and award-winning Opelika Arts Association, headquartered in the Opelika Depot in Historic Downtown Opelika, reaches out to all people in the city providing programs for all age groups and interests through community and school events.
Among the awards received by the group are:
- 1989 Governor's Art Award
- 1991 Outstanding Service Award from the Alabama Art Education Association.
- 8th Annual Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network and National School Board Association Award
Regular programs sponsored by the East Alabama Arts Association are:
- Art Exhibit and Permanent Collection in the Arts Center Gallery of Lewis Cooper Jr. Memorial Library and Arts Gallery at 200 South Sixth Street featuring regularly scheduled art exhibits showcasing works by area artists and a permanent collection of more than 75 pieces.
- OAA Performance Series offering a variety of performances from October to April of each year in the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts, a 1200-seat theater located at Opelika High School.
- Opelika Arts Festival is an annual festival held on the third Saturday in April that provides a showcase for more than 100 artists and craftsmen from around the Southeast.
- Opelika Junior Arts Association encourages participation in the arts among the city's youth to expose them to cultural activities and service projects.
- Arts in Education, in cooperation with the Opelika City Schools System, takes the arts to Opelika's school age children, through Artists-in-Education residencies, the Adventure in the Arts performance series and a scholarship program.
Performing Arts Series World-class arts performances are held each year from October to April.
SOUTHSIDE CENTER FOR THE ARTS
1103 Glenn Ave. Opelika, AL 36801
Membership and ticket information: